G eographical Indication
Geographical Indication In relation to goods, means an indication which identifies such goods as agricultural goods, natural goods or manufactured goods as originating, or manufactured in the territory of a country, or a region or locality in that territory, where a given quality, reputation or other characteristic of such goods is essentially attributable to its geographical origin and in case where such goods are manufactured goods one of the activities of either the production or of processing or preparation of the goods concerned takes place in such territory, region or locality, as the case may be.
GI registration provides legal protection to the products. Prevents unauthorized use of a GI tag products by others. Helps consumers to get quality products of desired traits and is assured of the authenticity. Promotes economic prosperity of producers of GI tag goods by enhancing their demand in national and international markets.
No Action for Infringement of Unregistered Geographical Indication
Germany had the largest number of GIs in force (9,499), followed by China (7,566), the EU (4,914) and the Republic of Moldova (3,442)
GI Tag is basically given to the products related to agriculture, handicrafts, foodstuffs, spirit drinks and Industrial Products. India has more than 400 geographical Indications so far.
Benefits of Geographical Indications
- The organizations or companies who register their geographical indications enjoy various advantages from the registration, including:
- Registered geographical indications have the exclusive right to access or use G.I.’s products during the business.
- Authorized users enjoy the right to sue for infringement.
- It provides legal protection to geographical signs in India.
- Prevents unauthorized use of registered geographical indications by others.
- It provides legal protection to Indian geographical signals which in turn promotes exports.
- It promotes the economic prosperity of producers of goods produced in a geographical area.
- A registered owner can also approach for legal protection in other WTO member countries.
- It provides legal protection to the respective goods in domestic as well as in international markets.
Protection for a registered geographical indication will remain valid unless the registration is canceled.